Cooking with kids is fun, especially when it is something you KNOW they will eat! Who doesn’t love hot dogs? And cornbread? Well then, lets make Dogs in a Basket. Pull up that step stool for the young ‘uns and let’s get cooking. These are so easy (see the recipe below).
First we’ll gather the ingredients
Mix together according to the recipe then layer in the baking dish
Pop in the oven according to recipe directions and then distract the kiddos until done.
(That’s the hard part!) Cool and slice. Enjoy!
Dogs In A Basket
A fun, easy (and vintage) recipe for kids of all ages. Serve with baked beans for a timeless dinner combo.
- Skinless hot dogs
- 1 package cornbread mix (Jiffy or a scratch-made quantity suitable for loaf pan)
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Heat frankfurters in water; remove and dry; slash at 1-inch intervals.*
- Prepare cornbread mix as package label directs or mix up your favorite cornbread recipe.
- Alternate layers of franks and batter in greased, floured, 1 1/2 quart glass loaf pan.
- Bake 35 minutes; cool to lukewarm in pan. With sharp knife, slice 1-inch thick.
- Tip: *Franks can be heated (cautiously!) in the microwave. Pre-slash to prevent explosion.
Vintage Unscripted https://vintageunscripted.com/